Responsible for Our Actions
Pro-Tam has a high level of awareness and is constantly evaluating areas to minimize the impact our business has on the environment. We take responsibility for our role in the production of wasteful materials and we have a structured approach to reducing our environmental footprint. At the foundation of our approach are the 3Rs: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Pro-Tam uses the 3Rs to developed a performance review to measure our success. We call this review the P3R (Pro-Tam 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle). Our environmental performance is as an important component of our business and the reason Pro-Tam implemented the P3R Review.
On an annual basis, we do a performance review on ourselves, based on the 3Rs. The performance review evaluates how we do on each ‘R’ criteria, to track our progress, and identify opportunities to improve. The following is a highlight and sampling of the results and the systems put in place for each R.
- We are continually trying to save our client’s money by reducing their shipping costs, through better packaging for our clients
- Reducing shipping costs on average by 25% over the last 5 years. This created an impact on carbon emissions as well as packaging (plastic wrap, cardboard and pallets).
- We have removed blister packing as a service because it is non-recyclable
- We are trying to form an industry education program to reduce use amongst our competitors and want to standardize our review system to benchmark our performances.
- We have stopped stocking our kitchen with paper plates, plastic utensils, and plastic cups. We provide dishwashing equipment and supplies to encourage our employees to use washable items instead of disposable ones.
- Our compacting service has reduced gas emissions by 85%
- We reuse cardboard in production and packaging as separators and anti-slip sheets wherever possible
- The backside of printed paper is used for note paper
- Pro-Tam reuses many of its materials:
- We reuse at least 25% of boxes and cardboard
- We reuse packing materials on received products such as bubble wrap, and packing paper
- We reuse pallets and repair broken ones so as to keep them in circulation
- We have had a recycling service in place for the last 8 years
- We recycle bottles, cans and paper from our staff’s consumption
- We have a compactor that provides efficient packing of our recyclables